13 Powerful Quotes From Black Women About Self-Love
In honor of Black History Month, we gathered some of our favorite quotes from Black women that focus on self-love, self-esteem, and so much more. Let their words remind you that you are enough, and you are so worthy of love.
1. “Self-esteem means knowing you are the dream.” – Oprah Winfrey
2. "The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." - Alice Walker
3. “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” - Maya Angelou
4. "I was built this way for a reason, so I’m going to use it." - Simone Biles
5. "You are your best thing." - Toni Morrison
6. “I am a feminist, and what that means to me is much the same as the meaning of the fact that I am Black; it means that I must undertake to love myself and to respect myself as though my very life depends upon self-love and self-respect.” - June Jordan
7. "One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals." - Michelle Obama
8. “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” - Audre Lorde
9. "If we give our children sound self-love, they will be able to deal with whatever life puts before them." - bell hooks
10. "I need to see my own beauty and to continue to be reminded that I am enough, that I am worthy of love without effort, that I am beautiful, that the texture of my hair and that the shape of my curves, the size of my lips, the color of my skin, and the feelings that I have are all worthy and okay." - Tracee Ellis Ross
11. "You've got to learn to leave the table when love's no longer being served." - Nina Simone
12. “We have so much coming in as sisters, when is our interior life ever put at the forefront? We constantly want to give to other people … Too much of not caring for yourself is not a good thing. We’re bad at that as achievers. Self-care is a priority and we have to do it more.” - Ava DuVernay
13. "Even if it makes others uncomfortable, I will love who I am.” - Janelle Monáe
You deserve to feel confident. Boost your confidence every day with the Shine app.
Shine is supported by members like you. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. See our affiliate disclosure for more info.